It was Sunday night. We were both craving a treat, but alas, we don’t shop on Sundays. What could I make with items already in my cupboard?
I went to allrecipes.com and used their nifty little ingredient search tool to find a recipe using the ingredients I had on hand. I put in coconut, walnuts, and cocoa and was pointed to the recipe for Dream Bars II. That Husband really likes them, but they taste a little bit too much like flour to me. Maybe next time I shouldn’t use the cocoa? Also I should made the crust thinner and cooked it until it was really golden brown, not just sort of golden brown.
* 1/2 cup butter
* 1/2 cup brown sugar
* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 3 eggs, beaten
* 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
* 1 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and 1/2 cup brown sugar until smooth. Stir in the 1 1/2 cups of flour. Press the mixture firmly into the bottom of a 9×13 inch pan. Bake the crust for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together the eggs and 1 1/2 cups brown sugar. Stir in the vanilla. Combine the 1/4 cup flour, cocoa (if desired), baking powder and salt; stir into the egg mixture. Fold in the coconut and walnuts. Pour into the pre-baked crust.
4. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until firm. Cool and cut into squares.
I’m not supposed to eat any more while he is out of town, but I really want to try drizzling some caramel on top and topping that off with some Cool Whip. Maybe just a taste tomorrow.